Saturday, December 3, 2011

Holiday Sugar Cookies

Print Friendly and PDF

Christmas cookies that my 3 year old cut out and decorated
I make these pretty often whenever I need shaped cookies, particularly for Valentine's Day, Halloween, and Christmas.


Ingredients:

  • 1 c. butter softened
  • 1.5 c powdered sugar  
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 c. white rice flour
  • 1/2 c brown rice flour
  • 1/2 c finely ground almond flour
  • 1/2 c sorghum (or you could do more brown rice flour)
  • 1/2 c potato starch
  • 1 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cream of tartar
Preheat oven to 375.  In small mixing bowl stir together all the dry ingredients except the powdered sugar.  In a medium mixing bowl beat butter, powdered sugar, egg, and vanilla until well blended.  Stir in dry ingredients (I just use my stand mixer on low).


Chill 2-3 hrs.  (I have made these without waiting the 2-3 hrs for it to chill however the dough is harder to work with and more sticky).
Roll dough on floured surface.  I roll mine to about 1/4" but you can do more or less.  They puff up slightly while baking but not much.  Bake about 8 mins.  I use a silpat or parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Let cool for just a minute or two on the cookie sheet and then transfer to a wire rack.

2 comments:

  1. Great time of the year to post this recipe! I am so excited to make shaped cookies for Christmas and I bet my three year old will like helping to decorate too! :D Its great to see you post again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if this is to late, but what can you sub for the almond flour as we have nut allergies in the house?

    ReplyDelete